Saturday, November 19, 2011

What sort of plants are best for pots in central texas?

I'm looking to find an eye-catching plant to put in a flower pot. I don't want something that is common and boring. But I need for it to be in a pot. I can't find any good websites for information about this either. We live in Central Texas...very hot, humid, but very little rain. When it does rain it POURS! Even just a website or two that could help direct me into the right plants that I need...Thank you!

What sort of plants are best for pots in central texas?
Container gardening is a bit of a challenge here in Texas, especially in the areas of high heat, and little rain. If you'll remember to add amendments (perlite, vermiculite, peat, slow release fertilizer such as osmocote, etc.) to your potting soil when you originally plant, you'll save yourself alot of work and worry later.





With that in mind, here are a couple of sites that may be just the information you seek:


http://lazygardener.home.comcast.net/art... (This one is cute.)


https://www.klru.org/ctg/tips/jun.asp (This is the site to which your first answerer referred...and excellent for central texas.)


Then last but not least, you may be interested in a site dedicated to plant swap, Central Texas: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/...





Happy Gardening!
Reply:Try your county extension agent. KLRU.org may help. They have the Central Texas Gardener. My local Lowe's and Home Depot have a lot of beautiful and some unusual plants. I bought one yesterday called "King's Crown". It blooms red flowers. I also like Purslane or Jasmine in pots. Kalanchoe is another good one. Try websites that are for "Central Texas Plants". You may luck out. Good luck. I live ine Central Texas, too.

choosing loops

No comments:

Post a Comment